If you suffer from acne, there are lots of things you can do to keep it under control, and there are many debates on whether an acne diet will help in getting rid of acne. Many people are guilty of looking at a teenager that’s covered in acne, and assuming they eat too much junk food, or sweet things like chocolate.
Whilst junk food isn’t the perfect diet when treating acne, it has been proved that chocolate (if consumed in moderation) won’t cause acne, so you can rest easy that the odd bar here and there shouldn’t cause you too much of a problem.
However, if you’re someone who is really suffering with an extreme form of acne, and have tried just about everything you can think of, except an acne diet, now might be the time. In the following words you will find information on the foods we think you should avoid, and foods you should include when treating any type of acne (including body acne):
Acne Diet and What You Should Eat and Drink
- Water is a natural way to keep your body hydrated, and if you drink at least 8 glasses per day, this will keep your skin hydrated, so this should be a major part of your natural acne treatment.
- Vitamin A, (which is also referred to as retinol), is excellent at keeping the top layers of your skin in good condition. Foods that are high in this Vitamin are generally yellow, or red in color. Good examples are bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, and squash.
- Eat foods that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are very good at reducing your body’s inflammatory reactions, and this is one of the causes of acne. When following an acne dietary, foods you should include are flax seeds, walnuts, and fish.
- Antioxidants are also a great way to cleanse your body, and they will help remove toxins that can be bad for your skin. Examples of foods that are high in antioxidants are nuts, seeds, berries, and natural, or organic produce.
What You Should Not Eat or Drink
- Obviously alcohol and caffeine is something that should not be part of your acne treatment, and the reason for this is they will dehydrate your body, which will make your acne worse.
- Foods that are high in iodine should also not be part of your diet. Iodine, when consumed in large quantities will eventually be secreted by your body, and this will cause an inflammatory reaction. Examples of foods like this are seaweed, seafood, asparagus, and wheat germ. In fact, anything that contains a high amount of salt should not be part of your acne dietary.
- Most dairy products should be cut out of your diet, and this is because they have a large amount of hormones in them.
Sugar and refined carbohydrates will not help your acne treatment for the same reason as dairy. Foods like this can trigger a hormonal reaction, so for this reason you should avoid pasta, white bread, and any other processed foods that are high in both of these ingredients. Please watch this video for more information on acne diet: